Friday, June 15, 2007

Butterfly Breath

(In my desire to assist you in your life with God, I occasionally send out an oldie but goodie LifeNote. One from three years ago follows…)


Yesterday I saw the first butterfly of spring. (It had a sign on it, so I knew…) To see it wandering about my backyard was exhilarating. Right about now I’m tired of winter brown and love seeing emerging natural beauty.

I was reminded of another butterfly experience of last summer when I saw a beauty crawling around on the ground; it really looked out of place.

I figured it was slightly injured and confused, and so carefully picked it up and placed it on a flower, hoping it would come to its senses. “This is where you belong, butterfly breath,” I said, “Now, start living the way you really are…off you go.” After some recuperative stretching, it flew off, looking normal and healthy again. I felt I had done something particularly great by assisting Mr. Butterfly. But if it had the capacity, I bet it would have thought, “Whew! That giant almost killed me, squeezing my wings the way it did. I’m sure glad I escaped…”

I suspect I don’t always recognize God’s assistance when it comes. Even though I often think about how He promises to orchestrate the steps of my life, I don’t always believe He’s doing it; I mean, come on! Surely I’ve messed up His plan.

Like that butterfly, I get confused about who I am and where I belong, and maybe I fall down. Fortunately, there’s Someone who is never confused and who has all the power and ability to pick me up and get me flying again. And He’s sure to do it.

“We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.”
(2 Cor 1:8-11 NIV)

If just now you find yourself down in the dirt, you must know you’ll not always be there. He will pick you, put you in place, and bring the breeze that will lift you once again. He’s pretty good with His favorite handiwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment