Monday, May 27, 2013

Life In The Storm

How do you do in the storms of life? Frankly, they sometimes batter me, and I don’t always do very well. But I’ve noticed something.

As long as I believe that I’m doing well when I’m tranquil, fulfilled, happy and satisfied, but not well when I’m experiencing fear, frustration, sorrow and failure, I’ll search and struggle for my identity in “how life is going” and in “how I’m doing,” rather than in who lives in me and how He enjoys riding and working in a good storm now and then—particularly mine.

When I realize, however, that I’ve been born spirit and am entirely secure in Jesus, who lives in me, with all of His ability and grace and love (He is, after all, the way, the truth and the life), then storms may rage but my attention and source are elsewhere.

The apostle Paul, who knew a thing or two about storms and great difficulties, wrote: “But we have this treasure in jars of clay (and we’re going to feel fragile and clay-like) to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. (There’s a purpose to it after all.) For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. (That’s amazing.) So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.” (2 Corinthians 4:7-12, parenthesis mine.)

That is a miracle, and that’s the purpose of storms and the life we find.

(This is a transcript of yesterday’s video, “Life In The Storm,” and is for those who might rather read than watch. To see the video and/or to subscribe, click http://youtu.be/LCjXMavaYq4, or just scroll down.)

No comments:

Post a Comment