Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Ultimate Measure Of Me


During a sleepless hour last night it dawned on me that I was working really hard at getting life right – praying enough, walking in the Spirit enough, supporting people enough, making enough money--you know, enough. After all, once you know what to do (and that should certainly be me), shouldn’t you simply do it? Isn’t how you do the ultimate estimate?

No, it isn’t. Oops. How Jesus did when He lived as a man is the ultimate measure of me.

I forget that the ongoing measurement of my life, the way I am seen, the way I am estimated and the way I am judged is not singularly dependent upon me—Jesus became all of that for me. Everyday and all day I am living with His righteousness, His holiness, and His redemption. All that He accomplished has been given to me as my own.

Sheesh--that’s overwhelming. But shouldn’t it be?

I don’t regularly count on Jesus’ righteousness and holiness to do anything for me, other than secure my standing and destination. How dumb! When I remember what He did and gave me, my faith rises and my strength grows. All that ugly judgment I sometimes endure from the evil one and from my flesh vanishes. I can live again. And I’m reminded that faith isn’t just a bunch of important stuff I believe (make sure my file is up-to-date and complete), but a way by which life and strength and the Spirit work in me, a son of God.

That’s my day and that’s my night. Jesus for me and Jesus in me – my hope of great things (Col 1:27).

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:37 PM

    Wonderful. Brought tears to my eyes.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:16 PM

    It's great isn't it. Well put, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:17 PM

    Ralph Harris. What a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:18 PM

    "Faith isn't just a bunch of important stuff you believe." THAT'S GOOD STUFF!!!
    Tim

    ReplyDelete