Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Moving In So. Cal.


Just a brief update on the fires around Southern California, and my movements within them.

Here in San Diego, I have been dilly-dallying this morning, trying to determine my best route northward. Normally, it would be the 5 freeway, but that was closed at about 4:00 a.m. when several new fires began at the Camp Pendleton military base. Officials have been hoping to fully reopen the route, but fire has just now flared up again, delaying that for an unknown time.

The 15 freeway has opened, so that is really my only choice northward. While fire is on both sides of it, there is sufficient distance as to be safe. I will try to take some pictures of my trek, and will post them later, if successful.

The statistics thus far are terrible in terms of homes lost, acreage burned, structures destroyed, and people displaced, to say little about the economic loss, an impact which will have far-reaching effects on the people of California. Certainly, the effect will spread to the rest of our country, too, even the world. If California sneezes, the country catches a cold.

I would appreciate your prayers, as would the people of So. Cal.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:31 PM

    Yes, I'm praying!

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:32 PM

    Hey Ralph,

    Sounds like you are having fun in fiery California. I guess the old preacher was right when he said they'd all burn and go to hell! Well, maybe it's not that extreme.

    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete